Monday, January 26, 2015

Spirit of Techno'craft' : Texas Vs California


                                           

(An innovation by Texas Instruments to measure the force of blow sustained by athletes)

I was recently looking out at the spirit of technology and the technology firms based in Dallas where I can find some help in designing my app. In my search, I landed up on a very fine article which I felt like sharing. Personally, yes I come from a techie background and naturally, one can understand my bend towards technology and the numerous innovations taking place in this field. Truly, if 20th century was marked by Industrial Revolution, the 21st shall be remembered as the Technological Revolution.

As a student in Dallas, it gave me confidence while reading 'Texas surpasses California as a top Tech exporter'. Reportedly, Texas exports technology worth $45 billion (just edging past Cali with exports worth 44.4) bucketing orders in semiconductors, telecommunication devices, computers and other related items. Naturally, when there are companies like Ericson, Texas Instruments, At&T etc. I can take the shots .

Tech America foundation,a lobbying and advocacy firm in technology based industry, attributes the shift to rising manufacturing costs in Cali and Texas' business friendly environment. Its true that Silicon Valley emphasizes more on product designing and is associated with higher labor cost- an important factor in making manufacturing competitive.  DF/W started the spur in the technology growth in Dallas. However, with the ingress of these big companies, the growth is now spreading out into the different corners of Dallas.

To me- its a boost for Texas which promises a cheaper base for manufacturing. Texas is now giving a fight not only to the manufacturing hubs in the United States but also to the leading manufacturing hubs across the globe.  However, there is a long way to go. To me, the holders of the next G are the ones who make the environment driven more by creativity and innovation. And Dallas lags there ! California is the hub of that development. What is less happening in Texas is on the product creation front- an ecosystem for start-ups to grow. But then, each place has its pros and cons. Texas has cost benefits but currently the Oil Capital of the United States is less stimulant for the creative types. Yes, I don't argue over TI's contribution but there are many more hi-tech firms and innovations happening in California right now.

But then, Texas is growing strong and hopefully with its cost benefits and the spur of growth around cities like Dallas and with good universities like UTD and SMU, I hope to see my batch-mates opening their own Apple and Facebook and hiring me !





No comments :