Sunday, January 11, 2015

Merging Technology with Trading in the Classroom

                                               

It was interesting to take a note of this improvised project by the SMU Cox school of Business. Something that really showcases the intentions of this business school to contribute to the world of business. Two words - 'Interesting and innovative' - something that really sets Cox apart when it comes to the stream of finances.

The kiit Investing and trading center was recently opened in the year 2011. This 1458 square feet space hosts classes for students who want to learn finances. There is a 110'' LCD video wall aided by 24 Pixel stickers that the professor will regularly use to explain you the if(s) and but(s) of major stock indices. To give students the edge to perform in the Wall Street, the trading room uses Data Bases by Bloomberg, Capital IQ, Thomson One to train the young minds with real time business scenario. Personally, if I have to monitor screens in the Wall Street, I would love to get my hands dirty with these technologies beforehand so that I don't lag behind others ! And then there are trading tools by Morning Star, FactSet, Bloomberg, ideally the closest resemblance one will find with the Wall Street and something that sets Cox apart in the big list of schools recommended for business education. Probably, the only b-school which currently hosts such a classroom where technology is blended with the concepts of trade market, stock exchange -where the share indices of various stocks will rise and fall and I have to make fast decisions, get the phone in my hand and strike a bell to knock a profit in. most of us would love to learn from such a classroom right ? Think of it - "Well I am studying for my MBA but at the same time, I am trading 24x7 in the market. I know which stock is going to get me profits tomorrow and I will be bang on ! and in my trading, I am not alone but using the experiences of my knowledgeable professors to guide me over my moves !"

I think most people will agree here that we learn things better when we first study about it, get our concepts clear and then make fast moves while applying our concepts in a practical environment. This way, not only we get to know What effects the stocks in the markets but also can see how are the stocks getting effecting in a testing environment.

In my last post, I mentioned that Cox promises to be a center where a student can experiment, learn and grow into the future. In this post, I would conclude by mentioning that - Dallas in fact is staring at a bright future laying its trust with the SMU Cox School of business ! I shall grab my chances. Hope many other students and aspirants will be gearing up to be a part of this 'enrich and grow while you learn' environment.                                                

No comments :